Wednesday, March 16, 2011

DIY Vintage Arm Chair- Repainting and Recovering

I was browsing craigslist one day for some new furniture for my daughters room and decided to look for a vintage style chair. I found this baby for a great price and was even able to get it for a little less :) I loved it...my husband...not so much! I think he thinks I am a Grandma from the 70's with the way he looks at me and my purchases sometimes. Anyway, I loved the bones of this chair and was loving the rattan sides. I knew with a little spray paint an new upholstery it would be perect! Um...reminder to me...I've NEVER completely reupholstered a chair before. So I went blog browsing and went to one of my favorite DIY blogs Centsational Girl and found her tutorial here. She saved me! So here is my own little DIY tutorial. Not as good as hers, but you can get the idea :)So here she is in her original state. Not horrible, but definitly needed updating!

First things first...remove ALL upholstery!


This was before I did the arms but it took me a while to figure that out :) So we have a little naked chair!

Next, sand and prime!


I used Rustoleum Painters Touch Spray Paint Primer...that is my go to primer for everything! Works fabulous!

While the primer was drying I started to recover the seat of the chair
I used the original pieces as a template for my new pieces. The batting and foam in this chair were in great condition so I didn't need to replace much.

Since I wasn't going to do the buttons and tufting, I filled in the holes in the foam with batting so that you didn't see indents when the chair was done.

Then you start stapling and putting the chair back together :) LOTS OF STAPLING :)
Glue on some trim...I used a vintage lace for the top and sides and made piping for the arms.
And then you have your finished product!

For the chair color I used Rustoleum Painters Touch Spray Paint in Almond. It's a gloss paint but it doesn't look too glossy to me. Then for the material I used a classic Brown Ticking Home Decor fabric. I could not be more happy with how this came out (and hubby is happy too) :) He really needs to trust me I tell ya!








{linking to}

1 comment:

  1. Kristina, Wonderful transformation on the Frenchy looking chair. Sure doesn't look like a grandma chair now. Thank you for sharing this lovely makeover at my new party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete