Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Library Card Catalog Inspired Cabinet

Welcome to all of my new followers from Burlap and Blue! I'm so excited to have you :) A couple of weeks ago I said that I was busy on a new poject. I came across this idea on one of my favorite blogs Life in the Fun Lane. This was such a great idea that I had to make one for my kitchen. For those of you that have "toured" my kitchen, you see there isn't a lot of storage space...this is definitely what it needed!



I picked up this basic dresser at our local Salvation Army.




Pretty basic, but I loved the legs on it and it has good lines! I decided to paint it the same color as our kitchen being that the wall it is directly on is adjacent to the kitchen...thought that would tie it all in :) The top 2 drawers has indents down the center which Ifilled in with wood filler and added some filing cabinet style handles and frames. This was the first time I've ever taken on such a carpentry like project soI am so glad it worked!
I printed up little labels on the computer with typewriter like font.

I am really happy with how it turned out and am thrilled you can't see the wood filler lines :)




Have you been working on anything fun lately?

12 comments:

  1. Love this! Just found your blog via burlap and blue. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
    Have a great day!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a talented cookie! We are expecting our first grandbaby this summer and are working on converting an old dresser into a changing table/dresser combo. Where do you find your drawer pulls and knobs? They're awesome! I want something vintage-looking to compliment the soft yellow color of the dresser. The baby's nursery is owl-themed with colors of pale yellow, grey and white. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you thank you everyone! Maureen- you can find a lot of cute pulls and knobs on etsy. Anthropologie has some great ones too but can be a bit pricey! i would love to see your granddaughters room! did you happen to look at my daughters room? sounds like very similar decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristina, Thanks for sharing this wonderful transformation at my party. I love the labels and pulls! Not only is this pretty but also great storage.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina, I love it!! I think it's cool that you used a typewriter-like font for the labels. Great job! Visiting from Centsational Girl's party today. Hope you'll stop by my blog to say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks awesome! what a huge change! i am also visiting from centsational girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this creative twist on a dresser. Thanks for sharing!

    Warmly, Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so great! I found you at Centsational Girl. We actually have several real filing cabinets at the office that I have been thinking about painting fun colors. Your post has inspired me to get it done! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! It looks so good. I love the labels. I need to try this on a piece.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is very cute! Love your labels.

    ReplyDelete